Friday, June 3, 2011

B KOCMOC/ Into Space (1978)

A little out of my defined 1945-1975 time period but too good not to share.  This pop-up book was part of the burst in Russian children's publishing in 1978.  Or at least that what it seems like to me.  I find a number of 1978-1983 Russian titles for children and a number were translated into English.

Since it is very hard to use a scanner to show pop-up books (my preferred tool) I had to wait until I could get someone to take photographs of this book.  Even the back of the book is beautiful:

There are a couple of American pop-up books about space, the most famous being about the Apollo 11 landing. I will have to try and take some photographs for you.


The feeling I get when looking at Russian books is like that of looking into a distorted mirror. The overall images are familiar but the details are just a little different.


The walk in space and seeing the Earth from orbit....


The return to Earth (on land!).....................


Docking in space....

 Exploring the Moon....

Our brave new future in space.....















2 comments:

  1. This was the first book my parents ever bought me. My dream then was to go to space! I was 3... My second book was "race for the moon" showcasing the mercury and apollo programs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiran VenkataramanaJune 23, 2023 at 6:41 PM

    My first spave book which was presented to me way back in 1989. Read numerous times and played infinate times. Still treasuref and book is largly intact.

    ReplyDelete