Thursday, November 4, 2010

Adventures in Space (1955)

This is another of those awesome books that bowls you over when you see it. If I had seen this as a child I would have carried it around until the binding was shot.

Kepps, Gerald. Illustrated by Branton and Teece, I. Adventures in Space. London : Ward, Lock and Co Ltd. (44 p.) 26 cm. (1955)




This amazing early space book covers the solar system, how rockets work, construction of rockets and space stations, and journeys to the Moon, and the planets. Wonderful paintings of rockets, space stations, a Moon base, exploration of the outer planets. Text is very simple with many full page illustrations.




It is a children's annual because it also has six two page comic strips: 3 on the exploration of space, the Moon, and rockets, and 3 fictional stories about a space explorer, "Pluton, the Space Boy".



I love this version of the Moonbase. It actually reminds me of shopping malls I've seen.


Sorry this strip is too small to read. I love the Annual archetype of children has friends with a rocket, children see the Earth from space, children experience weightlessness, children land on the Moon, and children learn about space suits and walk on the Moon. I have seen variations of this strip several times.


A beautiful (and proper) circular space station.

A great 3 stage rocket. I love that so many illustrations are double-page.

2 comments:

  1. What a great book! Beautiful images. I love the astronaut peering through the jagged rocks. And the 3-stage rocket. I'm so glad you posted these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book and it's always been a prize possession, from when I was five. Even though I am now 52 years old it never ceases to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete